Gov. Tim Walz has signed two more executive orders as part of his administration’s response to the coronavirus pandemic
The orders, the 31st and 32nd signed by the governor so far this year – the vast majority of which have been related to COVID-19 – will reduce requirements on septic system servicing companies, and increase capacity in state health facilities.
Here’s a look at both of them:
Executive Order 20-31
This exempts septic tank trucks from seasonal load restrictions on Minnesota roads.
That’s because with more and more Minnesotans working from and staying at home, “many residential septic systems are failing to keep up with increased usage.”
“Septic system service companies are receiving a high volume of calls from homeowners in need of emergency pumping services and lifting these restrictions will allow them to meet increased demand,” the order, which expires on June 1, says.
“Action must be taken to prevent endangering the health of Minnesotans that rely on septic systems to process wastewater from daily and essential household activities.”
Executive Order 20-32
The governor’s office says this order will allow the Minnesota Department of Health to use “regulatory flexibility” by authorizing Commissioner Jan Malcolm to “suspend certain requirements” for hospitals, clinics and nursing homes that fall under its authority.
There are a number of requirements suspended, including waiving the bed moratorium for hospitals and nursing homes, which will allow MDH to add “surge capacity.”
It also gives Malcolm the authority to establish alternative health care facilities, which comes as the state’s Homeland Security department is in the process of identifying venues that can act as temporary healthcare facilities in the event demand for hospital care surges.
The order also waives a number of requirements and timelines that healthcare providers would usually have to follow in order to obtain state grant funding, so that the funds can be given to providers sooner.